Saturday, October 13, 2012

Creating pumpkins in the style of Yayoi Kusama



Last year I introduced our Kindergarten students to the work of the Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama.
Please click Here to view the post. 

The students loved her colorful work with polka dots, and this year I decided we should have more fun creating pumpkins based on her style.  Both grades (KG, and G1) viewed Yayoi Kusama's work, concentrating on her colorful pumpkins. 
Some Kindergarten students used finger painting to create the dots, while others choose to use brushes. It was interesting to watch the students trying to hold the brush completely vertical in an effort to create the "perfect" dot. 

The first graders decided to use pencils and colorful sharpies for the drawing part or the project and water colors for the background. 

Yayoi Kusama surrounded by her colorful pumpkins.














Yayoi Kusama


















Yayoi Kusama













Yayoi Kusama




















20 comments:

  1. This artist's work is so engaging. I can see why your students had so much fun with these. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a polka dot lover I've got to say "These are terrific!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good works,"great" student!
    Congrats!!
    Ciao,good sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool project! I saw a story on Kusama on CBS Sunday Morning. It was all about her life and rise into the art world. Great new twist on a pumpkin project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very interesting paper on the pumpkins. I loved it.
    Greetings from Catalonia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful creations. I love these pumpkins - octopus. Yayoi Kusama is a great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulation to the young artists for their very beautiful , interesting and well done art work , in the style of Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama !!!
    Have a happy Sunday !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The art of Yayoi Kusama is amazing, her pumpkin shapes are so fluid. Your students have done a wonderful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great idea inspired by the work of Yayoi Kusama. A very colorful pumpkins and original. I have put my Pinterest, I guess you do not mind. A hug and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnifique travail !!!
    Laure
    http://ptitesphotosdelolo.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful Maria!!Congratulations!!I love your colours!!I'll try it, with my students!!!Kisses from Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm unfamiliar with the work of Kusama - thanks for introducing her to me. Your students mimicked her style beautifully! Thanks for visiting me and my little punkin drawing....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finest creations, exquisite designs. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an imaginative take on the classic pumpkin still life. Your students work is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantasticas y coloridas creaciones, felicitaciones!!!!

    Cariños!!! Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an interesring style...must give this a try! Your pupils always rise to the challenge beautifully:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic twist on a seasonal/holiday project.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy to enjoy these beautiful creations. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete